No plans after your Spanish class? The Beach Boys, live music in the park, San Juan and much more…
Monday, 19th June
- L’Hospital de Nens de Barcelona Photo Expo: The exhibition shows a look at the past of the Hospital de Nens de Barcelona (the children’s hospital). Founded in 1890, the centre started life as a dispensing unit for undernourished children. One of its most innovative and important projects was the ‘Gota de llet’ (drop of milk) initiative, a hygiene programme for the treatment of cow’s milk to help people with no income. Until the 28th of June, Monday to Friday from 09:00 to 21:00 and Saturday from 10:00 to 14:00 and 16:00 to 20:00. Centre Cívic Ateneu Fort Pienc, Pl Fort Pienc, 4*5, metro Marina (L1).
Tuesday, 20th June
- The Beach Boys: Festival Jardins de Pedralbes has started with great concerts until the 14th of July. It is absolutely worth it to go at least to one of the concerts, because of the beautiful garden, a wide space, in the open air, in touch with nature and with a historic appeal all concerts feel extra special. Tonight The Beach Boys are playing at 22:00. Make sure you will get your tickets in advance. Jardins de Pedralbes, metro Palau Reial (L3).
Wednesday, 21th June
- Música als Parcs: Music in the Parks includes 50 free concerts around thirty green spaces in the city and is on from 7 June to 31 August. A way of enjoying nature and music in the city. Check out the full program. Tonight at 20:00 you can enjoy The Soul Tito’s Trio + Mixing Styles (Concert del Dia de la Música) in Jardins de Can Argues, Passeig de Maragall 383-389, metro Vilapicina (L5).
Thursday, 22th June
- Experimental performance at Niu: Tatsuru Arai is a Japanese composer/Sound Visual Artist creating a way to experience even a part of the nature of the universe through sound. This performance will be new work ‘Arkhitek-ton’ for Sound-Visual live set from his new Algorithm system„Hyper Serial Music.
Alozeau is the Josué Coloma’s experimental/electronic project. His music is made of all sorts of samples (noise, audio samples, field recordings, acoustic instruments, voices, soundscapes…) with the intention of creating an immersive experience. It has been edited by several labels.
Gyakusatsu is the solo project of Òscar from the catalan band Persona and Marbre Negre label. The lyrics are Òscar’s texts but also Ancient Testament excerpts, serial killer’s speeches, etc. The sound mixes samplers, handmade instruments and gadgets’ noise, different distortion pedals, computer and synthetizer, and of course, distorted voice.Tonight at 20:00 at Niu, Almogavers 208, metro Llacuna (L4). Free entrance / taquilla inverse ( = at the end of the concert you leave a donation according to your satisfaction).
Friday, 23th June
Celebrate San Juan: The Sant Joan festival is often called “night of fire”, a special event in some parts of Spain (especially Barcelona) that celebrates the midsummer eve during the evening of 23rd of June every year. This night is one of the biggest, noisiest and craziest parties in Barcelona and is celebrated by the Catalans with fire, fireworks, Cava and cakes. There are some public fireworks at Placa de Sant Jaume around 19.30 pm but most of the people from Barcelona celebrate the Nit de Sant Joan on one of the Barcelona beaches.
If you prefer being more quiet in order to experience the fireworks in a different way and with a fantastic view over the whole city of Barcelona, then we advise you to go to Guinardó or the Carrertera de les Aigües. There you have a marvelous view over all Barcelona and it feels like new years eve.
So enjoy this special night, have fun and happy Sant Joan!
Saturday, 24th June
- God bless America (Expo): Together with anti-war videos, like the one that lends the exhibition its title, these works deal with themes such as immigration, labour exploitation, the complicity between multinational corporations, the U.S. government and dictatorial regimes of Latin America, and the transgressions of private life by state power. In a second, yet related, group of videos, Martha Rosler foregrounds gender analysis, interrogating the domestic world and the instrumentalisation of the female body by the mass media, fashion and advertising, as well as by the scientific, medical and legal spheres. Referring to her work, Rosler has written: ‘I want to make art about the commonplace, art that illuminates social life.’ Until the 15th of October at MACBA, Plaça dels Àngels 1, metro Universitat (L1 and L2).
Sunday, 25th June
- Vermut a la Fresca: Until the 2nd of July you can enjoy your Sunday afternoons (from 12:30) at Plaza de Cal Muns with vermut and concerts. Relax with friends under the trees, zip your vermut and listen to nice music. Have a great day! Plaza de Cal Muns, metro Mercat Nou (L1).